- 3¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ to 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Sift the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center.
- Pour most of the milk in at once. Using one hand, mix in the flour from the sides of the bowl, add more milk if necessary. The dough should be softish, not too wet and sticky.
- When it all comes together, turn it out onto a floured board, knead lightly for a few seconds, just enough to tidy it up.
- Pat the dough into a round about 1.5 inches deep and cut a deep cross on it to let the fairies out! Let the cuts go over the sides of the bread to make sure.
- Bake on a baking sheet in a hot oven (375°F) for or until cooked. You can tell that it is done by tapping the bottom of the bread: if it is cooked it will sound hollow.
makes 1 loaf